Sunday, August 31, 2008

Open-Grand slam title the main aim for Jankovic

The Serbian came through another war of attrition at Flushing Meadows to beat talented Danish 18-year-old Caroline Wozniacki 3-6 6-2 6-1, her greater experience and fitness seeing her through to the last eight.

Jankovic has enjoyed just one week as the world number one, earlier this month, but has yet to reach a grand slam final, having lost in the semi-finals on four occasions, including at Flushing Meadows in 2006.

The 23-year-old is one of four players who can overtake compatriot Ana Ivanovic as world number one at the end of the tournament.

“It (the number one ranking) is a goal, but I want to win a grand slam,” Jankovic told reporters.

“Of course, by winning a grand slam I will regain the number one ranking again, and that is something I want really bad. I will try my best to achieve that.”

In sunny, breezy conditions, the 18-year-old Wozniacki, seeded 21st, out-manoeuvred and overpowered Jankovic in the first set but as the match wore on the Serbian began to win the majority of the longer rallies.

After levelling the match, she broke in the fourth game of the third set and then eased through the next three games to clinch victory and a match with either French 12th seed Marion Bartoli or 29th seed Sybille Bammer of Austria.

“In the first set, she played quite solid and didn’t make any errors. I was the one who was all over the place,” Jankovic said.

“I couldn’t really find my rhythm in these kind of conditions. I had to change something to get myself together again and do the right things. In the second set I started playing a little bit more aggressively…and it worked out.”

As she so often does, Jankovic went through the whole gamut of emotions on court, and said she liked to enjoy herself on court whenever possible.

“It’s not easy in our sport, travelling so much all year and being away from family and from your friends,” she said.

“So you really have to make the most of it and really enjoy yourself and have fun, whatever you do. Playing tennis, whatever you’re doing. But it’s important to be yourself, and I have a good time.”

No comments: